Bedrock Solutions

Jay Cheroske

Bedrock Solutions
Bedrock Solutions is an infrastructure and application development company committed to the Factom protocol. We are positioning ourselves primarily as an infrastructure ANO. Our goal is to further the protocol by helping other ANOs realize increased uptime and lower costs. We will also develop applications on the platform, via the grant system and 3rd-party contracts. We are excited and proud to be part of such a fantastic community, and look forward to answering your questions.

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
Are you able to share any of those documents here if they don't contain personal or proprietary information?
Please see the attached documents. Thank you!

Attachments

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
Hi Bedrock,
Thanks for applying! Could you break out:
1. What pledges you are making to grow the protocol via grants (if any)?
2. What pledges you are making to grow the protocol in general (via ANO payouts or simply by time/resource dedication)?

Thanks,
Matt

(Note: I personally know Jay Cheroske of Bedrock)
Hi Matt, thank you for your questions.

Our non-grant pledges as an infrastructure ANO are as follows:
1. Administer our Authority Nodes with high reliability and responsiveness to issues
2. Develop and maintain an open source infrastructure-as-code framework
3. Collaborate with other ANOs to determine best practices and innovations for ANO infrastructure
4. Active participation in Factom/ANO Governance
5. 65% efficiency with two servers
6. Run two testnet servers

Outside of our ANO pledges, members of our team are involved in Factom grant work, and an infrastructure contract for another ANO. Bedrock will pursue similar projects via grants and 3rd party contracts when we have more time, and cannot confirm what those projects will be at this moment.

Hi @davidk, this is less of a question and more of an idea for potential collaboration. In regards to (2), we have an open source project that's functional as it stands, capable of deploying and scaling several aspects of Factom's infrastructure via Kubernetes. The article's here, and the chart's here if you and/or your team would like to contribute; we're happy to work with the community to make sure changes make their way upstream.
Hi Matt, thank you for your questions.

Our non-grant pledges as an infrastructure ANO are as follows:
1. Administer our Authority Nodes with high reliability and responsiveness to issues
2. Develop and maintain an open source infrastructure-as-code framework
3. Collaborate with other ANOs to determine best practices and innovations for ANO infrastructure
4. Active participation in Factom/ANO Governance
5. 65% efficiency with two servers
6. Run two testnet servers

Outside of our ANO pledges, members of our team are involved in Factom grant work, and an infrastructure contract for another ANO. Bedrock will pursue similar projects via grants and 3rd party contracts when we have more time, and cannot confirm what those projects will be at this moment.

Last edited:

Jay Cheroske

Bedrock Solutions
Hi there!

Your application says you are working contracts with 5 current ANO’s.

What’s the nature of these?
Does this mean you are the Systems Admin for another ANO?
I'm under contract with Go Immutable to provide cloud development and support. The future of this relationship is currently unclear, as GI is transitioning to enterprise-level support in keeping with their ANO application pledges. If I do remain under contract with them, it will be to help them keep their cloud up to date with major changes. Primary support, which includes image updates, crashes, and stalls, will be handled by another company. This type of arrangement is exactly the type that Bedrock is interested in entering into with other ANOs: providing assistance standing up and maintaining infrastructure. We don't intend to be the primary support for other ANOs.

Creating infrastructure takes time and money. Each ANO has one or more specialties, and when an ANO is doing what they do best, the protocol wins. Some ANOs specialize in infrastructure, and having them create and maintain their own results in a robust diversity. But many ANOs want to put their resources into other areas, such as application development or business relationships, in order for the protocol to see the greatest benefit. Giving ANOs the option of a Factom "cloud-in-a-box" will allow them to reduce costs, save time, and remain focused on their area of expertise.

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
Hi @davidk, this is less of a question and more of an idea for potential collaboration. In regards to (2), we have an open source project that's functional as it stands, capable of deploying and scaling several aspects of Factom's infrastructure via Kubernetes. The article's here, and the chart's here if you and/or your team would like to contribute; we're happy to work with the community to make sure changes make their way upstream.
Hi @madisonhope,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your work with us. We've enjoyed reading your articles on Medium and look forward to more. We believe in cultivating a supportive community of Infrastructure ANOs and welcome opportunities to collaborate.

Xavier Chen

LayerTech
In your application you mentioned that "monthly expenses will be paid out of pocket. Until the market for FCT matures, none will be sold to cover costs." ... "and we will support ourselves through continued contract and grant work."

Even though you won't sell your monthly FCT compensation, it sounds like you'll need to sell FCT from contract (from other ANOs) and grants to support yourself. Am I correct with that assumption? If so:

1. What's minimum you need to sell in order to break even?
2. Do you have any reserve fund to support your cost of operation? If so, how much and how long is your runway?

Thank you for applying. A few questions I am asking all applicants,
  1. How many person-hours per week do you expect your team to devote to this ecosystem?
  2. How will these hours be distributed among your members?
  3. How will this be distributed among your ANO activities (open source project dev, proprietary project dev, protocol level technical involvement, governance involvement, marketing/promotion … )?
  4. Can you give a list of demonstrable metrics that the community could use say 6 months or a year from now if you are selected in this application to evaluate your ANO?

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
In your application you mentioned that "monthly expenses will be paid out of pocket. Until the market for FCT matures, none will be sold to cover costs." ... "and we will support ourselves through continued contract and grant work."

Even though you won't sell your monthly FCT compensation, it sounds like you'll need to sell FCT from contract (from other ANOs) and grants to support yourself. Am I correct with that assumption? If so:

1. What's minimum you need to sell in order to break even?
2. Do you have any reserve fund to support your cost of operation? If so, how much and how long is your runway?
Hi @xavierwjc, thank you for your questions!

We are a lean, owner-operated infrastructure ANO. We have no need to hire outside people, and we have enough non-FCT revenue streams to pay the server costs indefinitely at current hardware requirements.

Alex Goehring

Bedrock Solutions
Thank you for applying. A few questions I am asking all applicants,
  1. How many person-hours per week do you expect your team to devote to this ecosystem?
  2. How will these hours be distributed among your members?
  3. How will this be distributed among your ANO activities (open source project dev, proprietary project dev, protocol level technical involvement, governance involvement, marketing/promotion … )?
  4. Can you give a list of demonstrable metrics that the community could use say 6 months or a year from now if you are selected in this application to evaluate your ANO?
Hi @Julianft, thank you for your questions.

The following answers refer only to our ANO-related activities. Work done on grant projects or other Factom-related projects is not included. Total time spent working on the Factom platform will therefore be higher.

1. Our three person team will be on a 24/7 support rotation. During our initial startup phase, we expect to collectively spend roughly 60 hours a week on server administration, infrastructure research and development, and fulfillment of our ANO pledges. As server administrators, we will work as much as required to respond to network issues and ensure stable Authority Nodes.

2. We expect an even distribution of hours on our team. Our distribution may fluctuate depending on the state of our Factom grants and 3rd party contracts.

3. 90% of our time will be spent on infrastructure research and development. The remaining time will be dedicated to Factom/ANO governance. We cannot predict the amount of time we will spend on server administration, but that will take precedence over everything else.

-Have we released an open source Factom infrastructure-as-code framework?
-How does our uptime/reliability compare to the average of the Authority Set?
-Do we respond to code updates in a timely manner?
-Do we respond to network crashes in a timely manner?
-Do we have our testnet servers running and updated?
-Have we attended ANO meetings and cast ANO votes?

Creating infrastructure takes time and money. Each ANO has one or more specialties, and when an ANO is doing what they do best, the protocol wins. Some ANOs specialize in infrastructure, and having them create and maintain their own results in a robust diversity. But many ANOs want to put their resources into other areas, such as application development or business relationships, in order for the protocol to see the greatest benefit. Giving ANOs the option of a Factom "cloud-in-a-box" will allow them to reduce costs, save time, and remain focused on their area of expertise.
Let me first say that I interacted with DavidK a lot as part of the MyFactomWallet team and was always very impressed and I think highly of you as well Jay. I think you guys would make an outstanding infrastructure ANO. If you guys stopped at just being an infrastructure ANO, I'd likely support you. That you want to do more is of course wonderful! However, when I read the above and other comments in this thread, I interpret it as your team is going to have access to a host of Authority Node's infrastructure, including private keys, and that makes me nervous. Do I interpret this correctly? And if so, why should I not be nervous?

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
Let me first say that I interacted with DavidK a lot as part of the MyFactomWallet team and was always very impressed and I think highly of you as well Jay. I think you guys would make an outstanding infrastructure ANO. If you guys stopped at just being an infrastructure ANO, I'd likely support you. That you want to do more is of course wonderful! However, when I read the above and other comments in this thread, I interpret it as your team is going to have access to a host of Authority Node's infrastructure, including private keys, and that makes me nervous. Do I interpret this correctly? And if so, why should I not be nervous?
Hi @DChapman,

Thanks for your kind words and great question. We're happy to clarify. Upon joining the Authority Set, we will not have or accept direct access to any other ANO's infrastructure or private keys. This applies to all contracts we will engage in. We highly value Factom's decentralization, and believe it's essential to becoming a globally trusted protocol.

Thanks for your kind words and great question. We're happy to clarify. Upon joining the Authority Set, we will not have or accept direct access to any other ANO's infrastructure or private keys. This applies to all contracts we will engage in. We highly value Factom's decentralization, and believe it's essential to becoming a globally trusted protocol.
I apologize, I misinterpreted. Can you help me understand your offering then? You're offering "cloud-in-a-box" services. How would an ANO utilize it exactly, how would it, "allow them to reduce costs, save time, and remain focused on their area of expertise" and what support / contract role would Bedrock Solutions have with that ANO?

Last edited:

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
I apologize, I misinterpreted. Can you help me understand your offering then? You're offering "cloud-in-a-box" services. How would an ANO utilize it exactly, how would it, "allow them to reduce costs, save time, and remain focused on their area of expertise" and what support / contract role would Bedrock Solutions have with that ANO?
Hi @DChapman,

Please allow us to clarify exactly what we are offering the community. One of our ANO pledges listed above is to develop and maintain an open source infrastructure-as-code framework. We would not describe this as a service, and believe it can provide value and cost savings to ANOs on its own accord. Any infrastructure services we engage in will be treated as any other 3rd party contract or grant, and outside the scope of what we are pledging as an infrastructure ANO.

Our framework:
* will be open source with a permissive, free license
* will create the infrastructure necessary to run, monitor, and support factomd
* will be packaged as a collection of reusable, composable modules
* will be consumable in-part or in-whole
* will be supported via typical free support channels, such as repository issues

Mainnet and Testnet operators can reduce costs and save time:
* by using pre-packaged infrastructure and administrative procedures, instead of creating them from scratch
* through more efficient allocation of compute resources

In addition, we are exploring paid support services for ANOs that may want more formalized support. These support services:
* will assist, not replace, existing ANO server administrators
* will be customized to fit the needs of each individual client
* will uphold the principles of ANO decentralization

Thank you for your questions, and please let us know if there's anything you would like us to expand upon.

while I am concerned about your team consisting of former ANO operators, I suppose that reflects more on your former ANO teams. Are the other 2 team members, besides jcheroske , formerly from other ANO teams?

The current incarnation of the infrastructure management doesn't play super nicely with the emergency reboot system. How will you work towards harmonizing these different systems?

To clarify my concerns, I am worried about decentralization and allowing room for newcomers into the system. A trend of ANO members splitting up and then forming competition with their former groups is a system that can be gamed. If an ANO was initially selected based on the team composing it, then that ANO team radically changes, the initial value that ANO was bringing to the table is greatly diminished.

It is hard to determine if something like this is done organically as personalities/company priorities change, or if it becomes a method to game the selection process by having a single group profiting from running multiple ANOs. It can be hard to tell the difference from the outside. This case seems clear, but one can never know. It doesn't reflect positively on either party.

By my count, jcheroske, no fewer than 3 potential ANOs so far have counted you as part of their core team for the selection process. I am concerned about the pattern I am seeing.

Since a person's reputation is offered up as collateral, so to say, when they are campaigning to be an ANO. When they leave that ANO, the social collateral is damaged on both sides. When a person starts up a new ANO, they bring a different amount of social capital to the table. If they have already expended their social capital to bring one ANO to the network, using that same capital to bring another ANO online, the social capital needs to be discounted. Since go-immutible was selected to a large degree based on your social capital jcheroske, it would be a poor precedent to set to afford you your full social capital. Luckily you are bringing along 2 other members to your new ANO, both of whom are technical. I am asking if these are new people who have not used their social capital yet to bootstrap a prior ANO.

edit: finished an incomplete thought.

Last edited:
NK01)
I get that Jay contracted for another ANO is part time. Is that however contingent on not being an ANO? So if you would become an ANO in a few months, would it mean this contract will be terminated?

NK02)
Have you informed the other ANO about your plans and how are you going to make sure together with that ANO that you will not misuse the identities of that ANO, since you have access to their keys?

Jay Cheroske

Bedrock Solutions
I get that Jay contracted for another ANO is part time. Is that however contingent on not being an ANO? So if you would become an ANO in a few months, would it mean this contract will be terminated?
My current contract is indeed coming to an end. If Bedrock's application is accepted, there may be opportunities for Bedrock to contract with my current employer, but nothing has been discussed. That relationship, should it occur, will take place according to the constraints listed in our previous answers.

Have you informed the other ANO about your plans and how are you going to make sure together with that ANO that you will not misuse the identities of that ANO, since you have access to their keys?
My current employer is completely aware and supportive of my decision to join the Bedrock team. Generating new server keys is part of the transition process, as is revoking my SSH access.

David Kuiper

Bedrock Solutions
while I am concerned about your team consisting of former ANO operators, I suppose that reflects more on your former ANO teams. Are the other 2 team members, besides jcheroske , formerly from other ANO teams?
Alex and I are not from other ANO teams. We are fully committed to Bedrock Solutions.

The current incarnation of the infrastructure management doesn't play super nicely with the emergency reboot system. How will you work towards harmonizing these different systems?
There is indeed an issue with using an immutable intrastructure model with the Portainer management framework. Whenever a server is created, this server does not get automatically added to Portainer. We are investigating the cause and believe this occurs because the new server's swarm ID no longer matches what's in the Portainer configuration. Manually updating this configuration is not ideal, and we want to better understand the way that Portainer is configured to see if we can help automate these updates. Our next step is to set up a meeting with Factom Inc.

Jay Cheroske

Bedrock Solutions
To clarify my concerns, I am worried about decentralization and allowing room for newcomers into the system. A trend of ANO members splitting up and then forming competition with their former groups is a system that can be gamed. If an ANO was initially selected based on the team composing it, then that ANO team radically changes, the initial value that ANO was bringing to the table is greatly diminished.

It is hard to determine if something like this is done organically as personalities/company priorities change, or if it becomes a method to game the selection process by having a single group profiting from running multiple ANOs. It can be hard to tell the difference from the outside. This case seems clear, but one can never know. It doesn't reflect positively on either party.

By my count, jcheroske, no fewer than 3 potential ANOs so far have counted you as part of their core team for the selection process. I am concerned about the pattern I am seeing.

Since a person's reputation is offered up as collateral, so to say, when they are campaigning to be an ANO. When they leave that ANO, the social collateral is damaged on both sides. When a person starts up a new ANO, they bring a different amount of social capital to the table. If they have already expended their social capital to bring one ANO to the network, using that same capital to bring another ANO online, the social capital needs to be discounted. Since go-immutible was selected to a large degree based on your social capital jcheroske, it would be a poor precedent to set to afford you your full social capital. Luckily you are bringing along 2 other members to your new ANO, both of whom are technical. I am asking if these are new people who have not used their social capital yet to bootstrap a prior ANO.
In the interests of full transparency, I'd like to discuss the factors that have led me to my current position as an ANO applicant.

I was introduced to Factom by Devin H, who approached me and asked me to create several testnet servers for him. Shortly thereafter, I was asked to create additional servers for Matt O, Greg F, and I believe two others. In short order, I was running over a dozen servers. At some point there was a fragmentation of that group. I started working directly with Matt and was focused on creating the servers that would become Go Immutable's mainnet infrastructure. Devin began his own ANO application. I continued to run the testnet servers for everyone.

During the round one ANO application process, I was listed as technical staff on both the Digital Impact and Go Immutable applications. I was unaware that Devin had put me on his application, and when I learned that I was on it (via questions raised in this forum) I was surprised. He was my friend and the reason I knew about Factom at all, but I was with Go Immutable now, and I knew that I couldn't work for two ANOs at once. This was an unfortunate miscommunication between Devin and I, not an attempt to game the system.

Greg responded to this situation with full transparency here.

I'm not a Go Immutable shareholder/stakeholder; I'm a contract employee who was hired to get their cloud off the ground, and then maintain it while they made other support arrangements. In their application, Go Immutable stated that they intend to transition to an enterprise-class support company. My role as their server administrator was always temporary.

By joining the Bedrock team and applying for ANO membership, I've found a way to continue leveraging the skills and knowledge I've cultivated during my time in the Factom community. To me, moving from Go Immutable to Bedrock is simply another step in a fully transparent process. I'm hopeful that my membership on the Bedrock team will be viewed positively, but I understand that each guide is free to judge my situation however they see fit. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.