GAMiX

Thanks for campaigning :)

50% of all earned Factoids will be given to the Factom Grant Pool for the first six months.
Are you saying your Efficiency will be 50%?

Offer 24/7/364 supervision and technical support for these Authority Nodes.
● 50% of all earned Factoids will be given to the Factom Grant Pool for the first six
months. After this period GAMiX may revisit this number based on business
expenses but will not drop below 40%.
● Attend Factom related events and help advocate for adoption by utilizing our
diverse backgrounds and connections.
● Contribute to a better decentralized information network by encouraging
adoption of applications built on the Factom Protocol within the Gambit
Community.
● We currently run several large online communities including the FreeNAS Forums.
We will be glad to offer our Marketing expertise to help grow the Factom
community.
● We continue to maintain 2 North American-based Testnet Nodes (Google Compute
Engine) regardless of selection and to show dedication to the protocol.
● Provide Factom M3 Authority Nodes distributed across different geographic
areas. We are happy to let the community help determine placement.
If I understand correctly, these are your campaign promises. As such, do you consider yourself a marketing ANO? Other than that, I'm not sure what you're going to do to further the protocol in a manner that separates you from other candidates. But please help me understand if I'm missing something.

Thank you!

Thanks for campaigning :)

Are you saying your Efficiency will be 50%?

If I understand correctly, these are your campaign promises. As such, do you consider yourself a marketing ANO? Other than that, I'm not sure what you're going to do to further the protocol in a manner that separates you from other candidates. But please help me understand if I'm missing something.

Thank you!
Thanks for the questions and comments @DChapman. I'll answer each of your comments and questions below.

Yes, those are our campaign promises if you will. There's much more in the meat of the document, but that kind of serves as the summary (tldr) section :).

Yes. We would set our effeciency at 50%.

We wouldn't consider ourselves only a marketing ANO, but marketing is a huge part of what our members do on a daily basis as business professionals. Instead, I'd describe ourselves as a group of well-rounded and battle-tested businessmen. We would love to use the skills we've acquired (including Marketing) to further the protocol. As the community grows, I would think the need for a cross-company marketing team would become necessary. We are experts in many different areas including SEO and SEM, Marketing and Legal writing, website design, project management, community administration, email automation, and analytics, to name a few specific areas off the top of my head that might be beneficial. We're not looking to reinvent the wheel though. There are a lot of great marketers that are already ANO operators. However, I could see GAMiX being part of a cross-company team that helps cast the vision of how to maximize the protocol's visibility while also sharing the workload of marketing-related tasks needed to grow the protocol and our community. You know what they say: "Teamwork makes the dream work!".

I'll mention a few things about our team and our company that I feel sets us apart. Our team already has extensive experience managing the Gambit utility token and trading group which demonstrates that we understand this space and how to be successful with this type of business model. Collin has a wealth of knowledge from creating Gambit that others in the Factom community may find beneficial.

Our experience managing the FreeNAS and TrueOS open-source communities also sets us apart in many ways and shows our ability to work with others in a highly technical and always changing environment. Open source demands collaboration to see a project through to fruition, and we feel the success of both of these projects acts as a prime example of how the GAMiX team demonstrates that principle.

With the team that we've built, we're very confident that we have the technical expertise required to run an authority node. We're also incredibly excited to see how we can partner with other organizations in the community and together, further the Factom protocol. If you have and other questions I would be happy to answer them, and thank you again for your consideration.

Josh & The GAMiX Team

Hi Gamix,
Thanks for applying! Could you break out:
1. What pledges you are making to grow the protocol via grants (if any)?
2. What pledges you are making to grow the protocol in general (via ANO payouts or simply by time/resource dedication)?

Thanks,
Matt
Thank you for your questions, Matt.

We're not looking for grant work at this time although that could change in the future as we grow our team. We're making a pledge to offer 50% effeciency for at least the first six months and giving the other 50% back to the protocol grant pool. I don't see any reason for this to change after six months, but we wanted to be forthcoming that we may reevaluate this number down the road if there are additional unforeseen costs. The maximum effeciency after six months would never exceed 60%.

Our team has discussed that we would really like to be part of a Marketing strategy group that could help further the protocol. Personally, I can offer about 10 -12 hours most weeks to help with various types of tasks. I'd recommend reading my response to David's question above about different skills that we can offer and then send me a message to get something started. We're ready and willing to participate to help grow this community.

Thanks again for your questions, Matt. Let us know if we can be of service! :)

Josh & The GAMiX Team

Thank you for applying. A few questions I am asking all applicants,
  1. How many person-hours per week do you expect your team to devote to this ecosystem?
  2. How will these hours be distributed among your members?
  3. How will this be distributed among your ANO activities (open source project dev, proprietary project dev, protocol level technical involvement, governance involvement, marketing/promotion … )?
  4. Can you give a list of demonstrable metrics that the community could use say 6 months or a year from now if you are selected in this application to evaluate your ANO?

Hi Gamix

Thanks for applying again.

I understand you have ‘marketing skills’ and want to explore collaborative efforts for promoting the protocol.

Have you approached any ANO’s or already working on projects with them?

What promotion has been done within your established forums towards Factom?

What community or governance participation can we expect?

I see you’ve misused the term ‘efficiency’ in the above response - my concern being that it’s a symptom of a wider problem; disengagement from the community.

A quick search on Discord confirms this - is it a time issue?

Many thanks

Thank you very much for these thought-provoking questions.

GAMiX will devote as much time as needed to ensure any nodes that we operate are running 24/7 without interruption. We'll provide this with monitoring, reporting, and push notifications when an event occurs that may signal a node may need attention. We have the added benefit of having team members dispersed equally across three time zones which allows us to respond quickly to any monitoring notifications. Rather than try to put a number on what that could look like, we're saying we'll deliver those results by any means necessary and regardless of how much time that it takes.

We'll have our technicians in different time zones be on call for 8 hours shifts each which would conveniently be during the daytime for each person. During these shifts, technicians would be responsible for responding to reported events as they happen and checking in frequently to ensure the node is operating normally. Collin, Jeremy, and myself (Josh), would also like to be involved in Marketing and Project Planning aspects. Again I'm cautious to throw an exact number out there because I'm afraid it may become a "bidding war" of sorts between ANO applicants which may lead to some setting unrealistic goals and quite honestly some not being able to deliver. Instead, we would say look at the projects that we direct and market every day and say help us understand how we can fit into a cohesive plan to promote and market the protocol and community.

@Julianft could you clarify question #4? Are you looking for technical ways that our authority nodes performance could be judged or perhaps how the community can evaluate our performance as authority node operators?

We've not already begun working with other authority node operators at this time, and I'll address that a little bit below. We haven't promoted Factom in the communities we already manage because we don't want to be a lone wolf. We want to ensure that our marketing and promotion would be a part of a cohesive plan that would mutually benefit our communities.

One thing I've found from being a leader (and a member) of many online communities is that sometimes it is better to listen and learn from others before jumping into the discussion. That's what our team has continually done. Although we may not know as much about Factom individually as some who have been here since the beginning, we are actively watching discord and digesting other materials as they're released to learn more about the protocol and community over the last several months. I keep an eye out for any new documentation that comes out to grow my knowledge. Regardless, with our combined experience of creating the Gambit token and our successes with the open source FreeNAS and TrueOS projects, we are confident that we have a significant amount of value that we would like to bring to the Factom ecosystem.

I hope that I've answered all of your questions, and if I can answer anything else, please let me know. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to campaign again.

- Josh and The GAMiX Team

Hi and thanks for applying again.

Some questions from me:

Quint1)
At what price point will you no longer be able to operate the nodes at 50% efficiency and using the technical setup you have described?

- You state in your application that you "have been running 4 testnet nodes for the last several months"
- In your introduction-pdf (in this thread) you write you host "2 testnet servers using the Google Cloud infrastructure.
- The testnet admin however says that you have 0 nodes running via the portainer/swarm, but that you have been trying unsuccessfully to join the portioner since July 29th.
- Your last message in the #testnet-support channel is dated August 5th, after which multiple users have given you feedback and input but you have not responded.

Quint2)
Can you please clarify how many nodes you have on the testnet (2 or 4)?

Quint3)
Can you please elaborate why you have not moved to portainer/swarm, but instead ran only followers for the past months?

Quint4)
What is your working theory regarding why you are not able to join the portainer system currently, and why did you stop following up on it?

Howdy. Josh has a planned family vacation so Vaclav and myself (Jeremy) will takeover responding.

Hi and thanks for applying again.

Some questions from me:

Quint1)
At what price point will you no longer be able to operate the nodes at 50% efficiency and using the technical setup you have described?

Our Google Cloud monthly bill for our testnodes has been roughly $616.

8,745,102*.1/12/65 = 1121 Factoids per month per authority node

1121/2 (50% efficiency) = 560 Factoids left per authority node

560 x $1.10 = $616

We'd be break even at $1.10 per FCT if we use Google Cloud. We'd eventually move over to our own bare metal hosted server though, so the FCT price could be even further suppressed and we'd still be fine.

The reality of the matter is we're already 'pot-committed'. If we're approved for an authority node, the price could drop to zero, we'd still want to operate and take care of our node. We view this as a long term play and none of us need to sell earned FCTs.

- You state in your application that you "have been running 4 testnet nodes for the last several months"

This is true. We had troubles joining the swarm and now we only run 2.

- In your introduction-pdf (in this thread) you write you host "2 testnet servers using the Google Cloud infrastructure.

Correct.

- The testnet admin however says that you have 0 nodes running via the portainer/swarm, but that you have been trying unsuccessfully to join the portioner since July 29th.

Not true, we successfully joined with 2 servers.

- Your last message in the #testnet-support channel is dated August 5th, after which multiple users have given you feedback and input but you have not responded.

We changed our approach. We only run 2 now. We think it has something to do with the IP addresses, but haven't resolved the issue yet. The help offered was already exhausted.

Quint2)
Can you please clarify how many nodes you have on the testnet (2 or 4)?

Quint3)
Can you please elaborate why you have not moved to portainer/swarm, but instead ran only followers for the past months?

We have 2 nodes in swarm.

Quint4)
What is your working theory regarding why you are not able to join the portainer system currently, and why did you stop following up on it?

We will test this to provide an answer. We believe it is the IP.

Last edited:
@Julianft could you clarify question #4? Are you looking for technical ways that our authority nodes performance could be judged or perhaps how the community can evaluate our performance as authority node operators?
This is a Very open ended question. I want you to come up with everything that your ANO would have to do, to the best of your knowledge, for the current ANOs to be able to look at you in 6 or 12 months and say that you were the right choice to bring on.

Additionally, can you clarify what "The help offered was already exhausted." means above?

This is a Very open ended question. I want you to come up with everything that your ANO would have to do, to the best of your knowledge, for the current ANOs to be able to look at you in 6 or 12 months and say that you were the right choice to bring on.
OK, makes sense.

Our goal is for current ANOs and the community as a whole to look at us and see:

The ability to maintain a 99% or higher server uptime.

An open and humble attitude towards the community. A team that's willing to take instruction, communicate known issues, and be helpful to node operators whenever possible.

Demonstrable proof we've used our influence and networks to evangelize the Factom protocol.

A reputation of a team that's not just here for the Factoids, but a team that's willing to contribute to a cohesive strategy, regardless if that means helping with strategy or rolling up our sleeves and getting dirty.

A dedication and follow through on the goals we've stated in our proposal, for example, migrating to our own bare metal servers. (On the very least have a detailed roadmap of when and how we're going to do it)

Additionally, can you clarify what "The help offered was already exhausted." means above?
One of our test nodes runs perfectly, the other test node in US-Central panics after joining Swarm. Very unusual right? It works on bare metal, it works in Canada, it works in US-West, but not in US-Central. We asked for help in the support channel. We followed the tips and tried what was suggested, but without luck. We looked for any difference possible, changed architectures, tried different firewall rules, but still no luck. Help in the support channel doubted that we did everything exactly the same way. We suggested a tmate session. We documented our complete setup, line by line, please see it in the attachment. Last time we tried was yesterday. We really believe that this is something beyond our reach. Maybe the IP range being blocked, banned, or an inconsistency in VM instance between datacenters. We have a bug open with Google now.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi again.:)

"We have email notifications set up and plan to use a telegram script to send push notifications if we are selected as an ANO."

Quint5)
Could you please describe how this telegram script/push notifications would work? What metrics does it measure, and by what method?

Quint5)
Could you please describe how this telegram script/push notifications would work? What metrics does it measure, and by what method?
Hi Quintilian,

We like to utilize Monit for monitoring overall health of our machines. CPU utilization, used memory, disk space, process state, network. Those are metrics we usually use. Default option for Monit is to send email if any of the tests and or repair attempts fail, but the tool also allows for script execution so with a script you can hook to the Telegram and send a report directly there.

NK01)
Offer 24/7/364 supervision and technical support for these Authority Nodes.
First question that comes to mind what happens if we have a problem on that one day you are off? ;) :p

NK02)
After this period GAMiX may revisit this number based on business
expenses but will not drop below 40%.
Above you made the calculation that a FCT price of $1,10 would make you run break even (without calculating overhead/resource to run the machines btw). You also have a capital of $10K and claim to run it even at zero. But in the end everybody makes financial decisions based on risks and future potential. Could you run the numbers for us or explain how long you would be able to keep running at these types of numbers and why, not only counting the price of the cloud provider?

NK03)
Could you also clarify what exactly would make you run at 40% and why do you make a hard commitment to not drop below that?

NK04)
We believe that Factom is the solution that will bridge the technology gap between businesses and blockchain technology by providing easy to use solutions that will integrate and improve the modern business ecosystem. In essence, Factom has solved a problem that needed to be solved, and as such, is poised for broad adoption.
Could you ELI5? What problem has been solved for instance?

Howdy Niels,

Jeremy here. I'll be answering these on behalf of our team.

NK01)

First question that comes to mind what happens if we have a problem on that one day you are off? ;):p
GAMiX intends to provide 24/7 support 365 days a year. The GAMiX team wasn't planning on taking a group holiday. Typo. :)

NK02)

Above you made the calculation that a FCT price of $1,10 would make you run break even (without calculating overhead/resource to run the machines btw). You also have a capital of $10K and claim to run it even at zero. But in the end everybody makes financial decisions based on risks and future potential. Could you run the numbers for us or explain how long you would be able to keep running at these types of numbers and why, not only counting the price of the cloud provider?
We look at Factom as an investment in the future. Of course everybody wants to be compensated for their time, but we have diversified our income enough in other areas that we don’t need immediate income from being an ANO.

It's kind of hard to "run the numbers", here's why: Our team has been intact for 6 years now, long before any of us heard of Factom. We makeup various members of the digital marketing/web server teams at iXsystems. We have been building and maintaining servers together for many years. The additional workload of being an ANO piggybacks perfectly on top of our current infrastructure and workload with very minimal overhead. Our company builds servers for the Enterprise, so moving to bare metal won't be as expensive for us. So when I say we can run our node indefinitely, I really mean it.

NK03
Could you also clarify what exactly would make you run at 40% and why do you make a hard commitment to not drop below that?
Our team agreed upon this number earlier, but I'm revising it as of right now. We're now making a commitment not to drop below 50%, ever.

NK04)
Could you ELI5? What problem has been solved for instance?
For instance, the Factom Harmony value prop states: Factom Harmony solves for many of the business problems facing the Mortgage industry today. Use the transparency and permanence of Factom® blockchain technology to substantially reduce compliance, litigation and documentation expenses.

In our last thread, I shared a story that illustrates how this tech would have solved a major problem our country encountered.