Multicoin Capital Management, LLC

Congratulations on your swanky new offices. It seems like you guys are getting ready to grow into the big new space.

Factom is a heavily community oriented project. In most aspects of the protocol (certainly at this point of development) the community aspect is far more important than the technical aspect. You are diving deep into the technical aspects which I appreciate, even though the novelty of it makes me anxious, due to the system being fragile enough as it stands.

What really concerns me though is that you are just now joining discord. This indicates that your team has not yet made the realization how very much more heavily the social aspect of Factom is. This does tie into the tech too. For example, critical alerts for responding to network issues are handled through discord.

With your potential growth upcoming, how much manpower do you plan on dedicating to community engagement (or more likely just monitoring)?
We understand that Factom is a community project and has a strong social aspect to it. And we also recognize the importance of having ANOs have a single arena where they can communicate directly, especially in the protocol’s early days. We only recently joined Discord, but we absolutely recognize the importance of putting internal structures in place to allow us to participate in and monitor this critical forum.

From a technical standpoint, reliability is our priority. Anything we do will be heavily tested and coordinated with the testnet to ensure it works smoothly before launch. And if the community is nervous about the approach, we will simply run standard nodes like others. But we do think adding guard nodes will improve reliability and security - important factors for enterprise adoption.

We also recognize that there is value in bridging beyond the existing Factom community. We believe that Factom can mature and grow as a protocol by creating a broad community with many venues for discussion and debate (as many other crypto projects have done— with discussions taking place on Twitter, Telegram, individual forums, reddit, and much more). This limits natural vectors of centralization. We recognize how important it is for us to be involved in the Discord channel in order to securely and reliably operate a node, but we believe we can also bring value through an expansion of what constitutes the core Factom community. A key part of our value proposition is that we engage with many other crypto networks and can bring those learnings to Factom. More on this in the answer to the next question below.

NK01)
Open question, since I really don't know the answer myself and being totaly open here with you guys, since I have been wondering this. I think you can do wonders for this project, given your standing in the crypto world. On the other hand some things make me hesitate a little. The post of Brian above mine sums one of the major ones quite nicely.

The wondering part is this: With your day to day operations and the fact that you position yourself rightly so as bringing insights and research to the crypto world. Why would you need to be an ANO and what is in it for you?
Thanks for the question, and we can certainly appreciate your concern.

Part of our motivation for being an ANO is the learning experience— Factom is a new system that is conducting experiments in record keeping and governance that have never been tried before. We think there’s a lot to learn from this process, and we also think that our past experience in crypto investing provides a lot of context to approach these issues prudently.

As Factom holders and believers, we think that ANOs offer a new kind of way for “activist” investing in the decentralized network space. If we can actively contribute to the security and evolution of a network, it makes a lot of sense for us to do so. The good part is that the design of the system naturally limits the influence and power that any single actor can have. The role for crypto investors is evolving to include much more than just buying and holding or trading. As part of that evolution, we are building the operational expertise in house to engage with dozens of crypto networks including Ethereum, Maker, SKALE, Graph, Livepeer, Factom, Nucypher, Compound, and more.