Stake Capital

Standing Parties: Please score this ANO Candidate from 0 - 60

Have not voted

Authority Nodes Consensus Networks Consensus Networks Innovative Secured Connection (ISC) Kompendium Kompendium

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all,

We are excited to announce our candidature to become a Factom Authority Node Operator.

At Stake Capital, our mission is two-fold:
  1. Secure decentralised protocols
  2. Contribute to the protocols we support
Secure the Network
Our first mission is to secure the networks we support, and we have assembled the best infrastructure to do so.

From integrating hardware security module (HSM) support directly into our Tier 3+ servers, to deploying cloud based sentry nodes across the globe to ensure uptime and minimise latency, we do not compromise on security or reliability.

We have partnered with BSO, an award-winning Ethernet network, Cloud and Hosting provider. BSO provides dedicated and secure connectivity to our HSM-enabled servers for maximum security. In addition, we are working with two leading cloud providers (Amazon Web Services & Google Cloud) to provide optimal reliability.

Our technical team has extensive experience running highly available and secure mining and staking operations: starting with data center mining operations for Bitcoin from 2010, Monero & Ethereum from 2015, we now running Tezos, Loom, Livepeer and Cosmos validation services with a perfect uptime record. Furthermore, we were the winner of the Cosmos Game of Stakes (a 2+ month long adversarial testnet) with a 100% uptime record.

Our CEO Julien Bouteloup and Lead Engineer Leopold Joy will lead the infrastructure on Factom, with support from the rest of the team.

Contribute to the Network
Our second mission is to contribute to the networks we support, and it is a core part of our strategy to use some of our revenues to develop open source tools and educational content for Factom.

We have an active presence online (Twitter, Medium, Telegram, ...) where we will be publishing tutorials on Factom.

We are a team of open source developers and we have been building tools for the community. For example, we are live on Livepeer and have developed an open source live streaming/tipping platform. As ANO, we intend to support Factom either through participation in ongoing development or by introducing new tools and applications on Factom.

Finally, we intend to contribute through active participation in the governance of Factom.

Closing thoughts

We have a strong expertise in running highly reliable validation services which we think makes us fully equipped to support the Factom protocol. We want to have a sustained, positive impact on the network, and we are looking forward to becoming an Authorise Node Operator.

Please let us know if you have any questions and we will be happy to answer them.

The Stake Capital Team

Very promising application.

You mention you have a predictable (passive) revenue stream, which is a very understandable and logical path for crypto funds to take as of late 2017.

Initially, I was quite excited about how this path would add Factom to the portfolio of larger entities looking to launch validation services, but there are a couple of key issues I have with your category of applicants, for a lack of a better term.

You actually raise one of these issues yourself in one of your opening paragraphs, and I quote:

“As a for-profit company, we have to prioritise wisely on which network we focus our attention and time, and we decided to focus on those with potential to see real life applications and significant activity.”

Could you expand on how you see Factom fitting into that priority list? Will Factom be high priority for you from the get-go, or, like certain other ANO crypto funds before you, will you first sit back and wait for it to mature and gain in prominence?

I want to stress this point, because ANO status in Factom is very unlike other infrastructure services, e.g. nodes on Tezos or Cosmos, in that it calls for very active participation during these critical early stages where the protocol benefits most from movers and shakers who are willing to get their hands dirty on behalf of the Factom protocol.

Secondly, your commitment to educate on Factom through your social media channels sounds very promising and it’s an area where Factom stands to benefit greatly. However, to avoid major disappointment, as we’ve seen these pledges before and absolutely nothing came of it, I’d like to ask you if you can turn this pledge into a list of deliverables that you think might work out for you. Say, an x number of Factom educational posts. A range of x – xx tweets monthly on Factom / retweeting important Factom news.

This is not to pressure you in any way, but social outreach is a major problem for the Factom protocol and moving forward there needs to be some accountability on the part of those pledging to help fix that.

Last edited:
Hi Stake team. Thank you for your application and good luck during this election.

Some initial questions from me:

NK01
We are integrating hardware security module (HSM) support directly into our Tier 3+ servers and are deploying cloud based sentry nodes across the globe to ensure uptime and minimise latency. We have partnered with BSO, an award-winning Ethernet network, Cloud and Hosting provider. BSO provides dedicated and secure connectivity to our HSM-enabled servers for maximum security. In addition, we are working with two leading cloud providers (Amazon Web Services & Google Cloud) to provide optimal reliability.
Although I have been working with HSMs in various projects and our company even has APIs for it, I am sure not everybody knows what it is. Could you explain to people what HSMs are and more important how they would fit in with Factom as you mentioned it several times in your application?

NK02
As ANO, we intend to support Factom either through participation in ongoing Development or by introducing new tools and applications.
Do you have something more concrete in mind?

NK03
We take a unique validation architecture approach across the networks that we support. We filter all inbound traffic on the required ports (only) through an elastic network load balancer. In doing so, we circumvent all potential forms of DDoS attack on our resources. This also helps eliminate attack surface, since the load balancer is the only resource that's publicly facing / accepts inbound traffic. Our authority server exists only in a private subnet of the VPC and thus cannot be sent inbound traffic from outside the VPC.
Not really sure what is so unique about the approach to limit entry to a network, but have you tested this with Factoms p2p architecture?

NK04
In addition to ensuring availability and minimizing latency with a diverse global network of sentries, our ideal authority server infrastructure would include hot authority server backup architecture connected to one another via a byzantine fault tolerant consensus mechanism. This architecture mitigates the need for human intervention in the event of a fault in the current hot authority server. We are actively developing such a system and it will be deployed on our validation infrastructure once audited and battle-tested.
Could you elaborate a bit more on this solution? How do you prevent split brain situations for instance? What is the consensus mechanism implementation? Is this a generic solution or Factom specific?

Hi Stake Capital,

Thank you for your application, and I look forward to your answers to the many good questions that have been asked so far.

Your application mentions providing support in Factom governance, but presently does not elaborate on how your team plans to participate in matters of governance.

What particular topics within our governance framework interest you? What are some specific goals you would like to aspire towards in regard to building out our governance? How will you achieve these goals?

Hi Stake Capital,

Your application response also mentions that
As individuals, we have been active community members of multiple projects for several years, including Factom, and our involvement has been focused around educating users and developers.
Could you please justify this statement by expounding on how or where/when your team (or individuals on the team) has been active in the Factom Protocol to date? If involved in Factom Protocol education in the past, could you elaborate on that point? Thank you.

Thank you for applying to be an ANO! I'll likely have some specific questions later, these are simply questions I am asking all applicants.

1. Will you commit to, if elected, having, at the very least, the executives who will play a role in this ecosystem:
A. Signup for this forum with their username being First Name Last Name
B. Have a personal picture as their avatar.

It's not a requirement that this happen and some won't care but I personally will score those who won't commit to this a little lower and I want to be transparent about that.

2. Will you commit to having a logo created and/or submitted to this area within 30 days of your election (I would provide directions).

3. Will you commit to keeping this area updated for your team (it's easy).

4. Will you commit to providing at least a quarterly update on the progress your team is making in this area.

5. If you haven't already posted them within this thread, please provide the LinkedIn of anyone you mention as part of your team.

Thank you!

NK01

Although I have been working with HSMs in various projects and our company even has APIs for it, I am sure not everybody knows what it is. Could you explain to people what HSMs are and more important how they would fit in with Factom as you mentioned it several times in your application?
An HSM (Hardware Security Module) is a physical hardware device that serves to securely protect and manage digital private keys. The device can sign data that is sent to it, but makes unauthorised extraction of the private key data impossible. In the case of Factom, like other distributed networks, each Authority Server has a private key it uses to sign. An HSM will enable a much more robust Authority Server security architecture by not storing the private key data on the server itself. This mean that even in the extremely unlikely event that our Factom Authority Server is maliciously accessed, our private key would not be in jeopardy. Although some configurations/modifications would be required to enable HSM signing for our Factom Authority Server, we plan to work towards this setup (as it is a best-practice across all of the networks we support).

NK02

Do you have something more concrete in mind?
One application we would like to develop on top of the Factom network is an easy-to-use (e.g. drag-and-drop) document verification tool. Users could quickly (via an intuitive web interface) verify the authenticity of a document, without even realising blockchain technology is being used behind the scenes. We envision documents such as real estate contracts and loan and investment agreements getting hashed into the application and offering extremely strong security guarantees from Bitcoin via Factom.

NK03

Not really sure what is so unique about the approach to limit entry to a network, but have you tested this with Factoms p2p architecture?
Yes, of course filtering traffic is a necessity, however, as I highlighted in the Discord `technical-chat` a few days ago, there's currently no way to dial out from one public IP and then establish a separate TCP connection to a second IP for return traffic via the Factom daemon. This means that, for example, an Authority Server cannot send outbound traffic via a NAT Gateway (with one public IP) and receive inbound traffic via a load balancer on a separate public IP. Of course, a similar effect can be achieved by rewriting the source IP of outbound packets, however as we discussed in the chat, I feel this is a feature that should be available at the daemon level (as it is, for example, in Tendermint). Who seemed receptive to this feature, and said on Discord, "I'll see what I can do to include it on my medium-term roadmap." So hopefully we will see this feature available soon :)

NK04

Could you elaborate a bit more on this solution? How do you prevent split brain situations for instance? What is the consensus mechanism implementation? Is this a generic solution or Factom specific?
Currently we run extensive monitoring operations on our validation services and have automatic cold backups ready. However, this question asked what the ideal environment would look like. We are working on a BFT validator consensus architecture that could be applied across all of the networks that we support and would enable multiple hot backup validators to run concurrently without double signing. This is something we could potentially apply to our Factom Authority Server in the future.

Valentin Ganev

Factomatic
Thank you for your application, Stake Capital!

I deem your experience with other blockchain projects as an advantage and it certainly seems like you are very much on top of the infrastructure side.

I have a few questions:
  • how many full-time employees does Stake Capital have?
  • how much of your time will be spend exclusively on Factom?
  • related to the above, how do you plan to balance between your commitments to other projects and Factom, should you be accepted in the Authority Set?
  • is the infrastructure setup for some of the other projects you are involved in open-sourced? Do you plan to open-source (portions of) your Factom infrastructure?
  • do you have examples of contributions you have made to some of the other projects in which you are involved?
  • in your opinion, what is the most underdeveloped aspect of the Factom ecosystem and how do you think it could be improved?

Hi @WB,

Thank you for asking these great questions around prioritisation and network involvement - I think these are completely legitimate and it is a great opportunity for us to describe our position on these topics.

As you highlighted, we focus our protocol support to those with real adoption potential because it is part of our strategy to invest energy and time into growing and securing these protocols. In fact, as a large part of our treasury is kept in the native currencies of these networks, our incentives are directly aligned with the protocols.

Could you expand on how you see Factom fitting into that priority list? Will Factom be high priority for you from the get-go, or, like certain other ANO crypto funds before you, will you first sit back and wait for it to mature and gain in prominence?
The immediate answer to that question is it will sit towards the top of our priority list because we can have a meaningful impact and because we expect sizeable revenue that we can re-invest into the protocol. Of course, business requires flexibility so there will be slight variations from week-to-week, so let me expand on how we see our contribution unfolding.

Today, we are currently live on 4 other networks (Cosmos, Livepeer, Loom and Tezos) and our actual involvement has largely been driven by the state of each network:

Cosmos and Tezos are more advanced in terms of brand awareness and developer activity, so our involvement is centered around governance.

On the other hand, Livepeer (decentralised video transcoding) and Loom (Layer 2 scalability/unstoppable gaming) are younger in terms of community and activity which is where we can actually help, so we have been participating in:

Factom is interestingly sitting in the middle: we can have a meaningful input around protocol Governance, but the protocol could also benefit from more awareness through social marketing, and we intend to contribute to both.

Governance Commitment: We will reflect on every Governance Discussion and participate when we have a meaningful contribution to make, both in the Forum and Discord. (I could claim we will participate in every one, but we don’t want to participate for the sake of participating).

On Governance, I think there is significant value to having a diverse set of ANOs. As Stake Capital is active in multiple protocols with strong governance (Tezos & Cosmos in particular), we bring a different point of view and best practice from other communities. To that point, we commit to being active daily on the Factom forum and discord and participate in Governance discussions. (See reply to Nic for extended discussions on Governance topics we want to contribute to and how we intend to do so)

Education Commitment:
to avoid major disappointment, as we’ve seen these pledges before and absolutely nothing came of it, I’d like to ask you if you can turn this pledge into a list of deliverables that you think might work out for you.
  1. The official twitter account for Factom is fairly active, with one tweet per day on average. We will retweet ALL important news, such as Grants Applications Opening or important updates.
  2. We will have one educational post per month on Medium (and tweeted on our twitter).
    • One of these will document our journey and will be published Quarterly both on this Forum and our Medium page + tweeted.
    • There will be one educational and/or marketing post during the other two months.
The final commitment will be around open source innovation we do for Factom, which is covered in my answer to Colin's question in the next post. Again, we share our work on our social media platforms (Twitter, Telegram and Discord) and we have great engagement on all.

Conclusion: We believe we can a meaningful contribution to the Factom protocol by providing a reliable infrastructure, useful Governance contribution, and viral marketing content.

Hi @Colin Campbell,
"As ANO, we intend to support Factom either through participation in ongoing Development or by introducing new tools and applications."

Can you please share some ideas you have for applications? What new tools would you introduce to our community?
Thank you for your questions. @leopoldjoy has shared some thoughts in his answer to Niels (quoted below), which I will expand on here.
One application we would like to develop on top of the Factom network is an easy-to-use (e.g. drag-and-drop) document verification tool. Users could quickly (via an intuitive web interface) verify the authenticity of a document, without even realising blockchain technology is being used behind the scenes. We envision documents such as real estate contracts and loan and investment agreements getting hashed into the application and offering extremely strong security guarantees from Bitcoin via Factom.

In France in particular (but not limited to France), Notaries must attest documents in real estate so Factom is an obvious solution. In addition, there are a lot of talks around Security Tokens and having on-chain representation of digital assets (securities, bonds, etc...).

These traditional assets have strong requirements regarding reporting of information, and again, Factom is an obvious solution. We thought developing an open source, easy-to-use (drag-and-drop) way to notarise documents on the Factom protocol would be valuable and would increase adoption. This tool can be used for example to validate official documents, ownership certificates (art, real estate, agreements).

To attest of our capabilities, I would like to add that we have been working on open source projects for other networks we support (see answer to Valentin’s latest question for more details on dToK for Livepeer below). Furthermore, we expect the open source solutions we build will leverage and combine multiple networks, as there are usually synergies. This is the whole point about decentralised innovation, so more use cases will arise from need and we will develop them then.

This is our initial idea and we fully expect to introduce other tools afterwards.

Hi @Nic R,

Thank you for your questions. I will expand on my initial answer on Governance to @WB's question, which you might find useful too:
Hi @WB,
We will reflect on every Governance Discussion and participate when we have a meaningful contribution to make, both in the Forum and Discord. (I could claim we will participate in every one, but we don’t want to participate for the sake of participating).

On Governance, I think there is significant value to having a diverse set of ANOs. As Stake Capital is active in multiple protocols with strong governance (Tezos & Cosmos in particular), we bring a different point of view and best practice from other communities. To that point, we commit to being active daily on the Factom forum and discord and participate in Governance discussions. (See reply to Nic for extended discussions on Governance topics we want to contribute to and how we intend to do so)
To quote your questions:
Hi Stake Capital,
What particular topics within our governance framework interest you? What are some specific goals you would like to aspire towards in regard to building out our governance? How will you achieve these goals?

As mentioned in our previous answer quoted above, we want to contribute in most if not all Governance discussion and we think we can help due to our own experience and exposure to other protocols Governance.

Indeed, unless this is your full-time job, it is difficult to keep up with all the best practices, especially around Governance as it is an extremely touchy feature of decentralised protocols. Thankfully, this is our full-time job! :)

For example, Tezos has high participation rates, Cosmos has veto rules, Ethereum has been criticised for a lack of leadership in Governance, Polkadot wants to introduce vote-based governance, some decentralised apps have very low turn-out on governance decisions (Aragon, Maker), et cetera

Governance around Protocol decisions (Grants, Security, Voting), election of future ANOs, are of particular interest to us, but we are curious individuals and we intend to look at all proposals.

Then, as we become increasingly active in the Factom community, we will introduce new Governance proposal as we see fit, which are likely to come from our own reflection or simply from other protocols which have taken decision which would benefit Factom too. Indeed, we should avoid reinventing the wheel, if something has been proven to work elsewhere, let’s use it.

To conclude: we aspire to have a meaningful contribution, and we will invest the required time and energy into that goal. This will start by participating in discussions and sharing our thoughts, and will gradually evolve into proactive propositions as we better understand the need and improvement opportunities of Factom.

Hi @Nic R,

Thank you for your second set of questions focused around our social & education commitments.

Could you please justify this statement by expounding on how or where/when your team (or individuals on the team) has been active in the Factom Protocol to date? If involved in Factom Protocol education in the past, could you elaborate on that point? Thank you.
To your first point, as individuals and as a team, we have been differently involved in many decentralised communities, including: BTC, ETH, Monero, Factom, Loom, Livepeer, Tezos, Cosmos. This involvement has varied from being active in online communities, offline events, developing projects on protocols, educating users through reddit/forums etc…

We first heard about Factom now 4 years ago during Bitcoin’s DevCore 2 in London (2015), but had not been very active since then in the community - simply looking from the sides, but this is about to change rapidly and we are looking forward to being more active.

Up to now, we have not produced educational content on Factom, but it is certainly one of our commitment if we are elected as an ANO, and from a marketing/education point of view, we commit to:
  1. Retweet ALL important news from Factom twitter to our community, such as Grants Applications Opening or important updates.
  2. Have a minimum of one educational post per month on our Medium (and tweeted on our twitter).
    • One of these will document our journey and will be published Quarterly both on this Forum and our Medium page + tweeted.
    • There will be one educational and/or marketing post during each of the other two months.
The final commitment will be around open source innovation we do for Factom, which is covered in our answer to Colin and Niels above. Again, we share our work on our social media platforms (Twitter, Telegram and Discord) and we have great engagement on all, which helps educate people around the potential of Factom.

Hi @David Chapman,

Thank you for your structured set of questions, which I will answer in-line:
1. Will you commit to, if elected, having, at the very least, the executives who will play a role in this ecosystem:
A. Signup for this forum with their username being First Name Last Name
B. Have a personal picture as their avatar.
Yes to both - the executives have their own account on the forum - although Julien still needs to update his username (Julien Bouteloup: @bneiluj & Leopold Joy @leopoldjoy ).
2. Will you commit to having a logo created and/or submitted to this area within 30 days of your election (I would provide directions).
Yes - our current logo is this account's avatar.
3. Will you commit to keeping this area updated for your team (it's easy).
Yes absolutely!
4. Will you commit to providing at least a quarterly update on the progress your team is making in this area.
We commit to posting quarterly updates on this forum as well as on our Medium page and relayed on our Twitter and other media platforms.
5. If you haven't already posted them within this thread, please provide the LinkedIn of anyone you mention as part of your team.
Our initial posts linked to the twitter profiles of our two team member fully dedicated to Factom. Let me add their LinkedIn page here:

Julien Bouteloup (CEO)
Leopold Joy (Lead Developer)

Hi @Valentin Ganev,

Thank you for your questions which I will answer in-line

How many full-time employees does Stake Capital have?
Stake Capital: team of 5 and expecting to increase to 6 if elected.
How much of your time will be spend exclusively on Factom?
I have touched on this in our reply to WB (post 11), but to reiterate, we will dedicate two of our team members to the Technical support/open source development and one of our team member to participate in the Governance and Community (Discord, Forum) + marketing posts.

Realistically the time spent exclusively on Factom will fluctuate with the protocol needs but our current estimate is between 1.5 to 3 days per working week, with potential to scale upwards when needed.
Related to the above, how do you plan to balance between your commitments to other projects and Factom, should you be accepted in the Authority Set?
Again, I have touched on this in our reply to WB, so I will try to make it shorter for the reader experience.

Factom will sit towards the top of our priority list because we can have a meaningful impact and because we expect sizeable revenue that we can re-invest into the protocol. Each network has different requirements, some more on the governance, others more on the marketing, and Factom will benefit from both.

I have listed clear deliverables on our reply to WB’s question, and in addition, we will have a member of our team exclusively dedicated to Factom.
Is the infrastructure setup for some of the other projects you are involved in open-sourced? Do you plan to open-source (portions of) your Factom infrastructure?
Yes, we open source portions of our network infrastructures that can safely be shared publicly and are of potential use to the broader communities we participate in. For example, for both Cosmos’ Game of Stakes and Cosmos Hub we have continually open-sourced our suite of validator management scripts—these enable automation of various ongoing monitoring and management tasks. For Factom, we will apply a similar approach, open-sourcing portions of our systems we believe useful to other ANOs and the community as a whole.
Do you have examples of contributions you have made to some of the other projects in which you are involved?
The latest example we have so far is our open source streaming/tipping platform: dTok, which won all possible prizes at the ETHCapeTown two weeks ago.

On the Livepeer Network, we intend to use our revenue from running a transcoder node to finance and develop open source tools.

Current Livepeer economics require the broadcaster to pay for the cost of running a stream.

We created dTok, a pay-as-you-go dApp allowing viewers to pay to access a live stream by the minute. The dApp combines:
We ran an initial proof-of-concept with Ricardo of TribalNeed to live stream his unique melodic electro music live from the ETH CapeTown hackathon. Via the platform, Ricardo received more than $1075 in DAI contributions. He shared his performance with the world via our platform for independent, censorship-resistant, live-streaming.

You can read more about our experience and view a live demo of dTok here, and we have a more in-depth coverage of the hackathon here too.
In your opinion, what is the most underdeveloped aspect of the Factom ecosystem and how do you think it could be improved?

In one word: awareness - a lot of the “crypto” community, however you want to call it, is simply unaware of Factom! This is probably explained by the fact that Factom is one of the early protocols, and that the most recent wave of community members were introduced through Ethereum and Bitcoin, and have not been educated about Factom yet.

Our users and followers are active in other communities and are not necessarily aware of Factom either. As an ANO, it is one of our core commitments to retweet major news from Factom and to write one dedicated medium article on Factom per month. See reply to WB for more details. We also have working relationships with many entrepreneurs working in this ecosystem, some of which could work on/with Factom if they knew more about it. One of our key goal and deliverable will therefore be to educate people about Factom on-line and offline.

Hello, Stake Capital, thank you for application.
I ask this questions all ANO candidates:

1. With what efficiency are you going to operate?

2. If your efficiency is lower, than 60%:
2.1. What have you already pledged to the Factom? It's a good practice, when ANO candidates pledge works in advance before being elected.
2.2. Do you have an experience in running business? What kind of businesses it were? Please tell us more about it, so we can understand your strengths and what expect from your ANO if it will be elected.
2.3. What a minimum number of hours per week are you going to work for Factom? Do you commit it?

3. Do you participate in any other cryptocurrency projects? If yes, please reveal details.

Hi Anton,

Thank you for your questions which I will answer in line.

1. With what efficiency are you going to operate?
50%

2. If your efficiency is lower, than 60%
2.1. What have you already pledged to the Factom? It's a good practice, when ANO candidates pledge works in advance before being elected.
We have commitments on education around the protocol, governance participation, and open source development. I would invite you to read reply #11 in this thread as this is already covered there: https://factomize.com/forums/threads/stake-capital.1920/#post-15205

2.2. Do you have an experience in running business? What kind of businesses it were? Please tell us more about it, so we can understand your strengths and what expect from your ANO if it will be elected.
Stake Capital is a for-profit organisation, and the team has extensive experience working on other businesses/start-ups as well. In addition to working, leading, and founding businesses in the tech and blockchain space, we have ran mining operations (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero), and we are now dedicating our time and energy to validating various blockchains (from Proof of Stake to Proof of Authority). We have external funding, which allows us to have best-in-class infrastructure and the requirement human capital as well.

2.3. What a minimum number of hours per week are you going to work for Factom? Do you commit it?
I have touched on this in our reply to WB (post 11), and to reiterate, we will dedicate two of our team members to the Technical support/open source development and one of our team member to participate in the Governance and Community (Discord, Forum) + marketing posts.

Realistically the time spent exclusively on Factom will fluctuate with the protocol needs but our current estimate is between 1.5 to 3 days per working week, with potential to scale upwards when needed.

3. Do you participate in any other cryptocurrency projects? If yes, please reveal details.
Today, we are currently live on 4 other networks (Cosmos, Livepeer, Loom and Tezos) and our actual involvement has largely been driven by the state of each network:

Cosmos and Tezos are more advanced in terms of brand awareness and developer activity, so our involvement is centered around governance.

On the other hand, Livepeer (decentralised video transcoding) and Loom (Layer 2 scalability/unstoppable gaming) are younger in terms of community and activity which is where we can actually help, so we have been participating in:

We think this is a strength as we can bring best practice from other networks to Factom Governance decision.

Indeed, unless this is your full-time job, it is difficult to keep up with all the best practices, especially around Governance as it is an extremely touchy feature of decentralised protocols. Thankfully, this is our full-time job! :)

For example, Tezos has high participation rates, Cosmos has veto rules, Ethereum has been criticised for a lack of leadership in Governance, Polkadot wants to introduce vote-based governance, some decentralised apps have very low turn-out on governance decisions (Aragon, Maker), et cetera

As a business dedicated to staking in crypto I find it a bit odd that you only have 500 twitter followers. To attract followers and exposure would surely be in your best interest to reach a wider audience and potential staking clients.

Are you currently doing any efforts to increase your reach, if so what? Do you have any medium to long term goals in this respect?

Jay Cheroske

Bedrock Solutions
I've decided to ask all prospective ANOs the following:
  • What experiences do you have running dockerized applications?
  • What are some things you learned while running your testnet servers?
  • How have your ideas about mainnet infrastructure changed as you have become more familiar with running factomd?
Apologies if you have already answered one or more of these somewhere else.

As a business dedicated to staking in crypto I find it a bit odd that you only have 500 twitter followers. To attract followers and exposure would surely be in your best interest to reach a wider audience and potential staking clients.

Are you currently doing any efforts to increase your reach, if so what? Do you have any medium to long term goals in this respect?
Hi @Tor Paulsen,

Thank you very much for asking this important question, as we indeed work actively on our digital presence and social media following. Our goal is clearly to continuously increase engagement and build a bigger community around Stake Capital.

When it comes to social media and our staking services, we feel quality is more important than quantity, so our strategy has been to create engaging and valuable content, enter in strong partnerships and deliver a valuable customer experience, which has resulted in strong organic growth with real engagement on our social media platforms. This is because as a staking partner providing a service, trust is essential, hence our strategy to produce quality content to share our ethos.

We think this is particularly relevant to our application to become an ANO, as one of our commitment is to publish monthly blog posts related to Factom, which will bring additional visibility to the protocol.

Stake Capital has been actively producing content for approximately 2 months (despite the account being registered in November 2018), and we think the growth has been encouraging so far:
  • 200 followers - March 6
  • 300 followers - March 20
  • 400 followers - April 8
  • 500 followers - May 10
We are also ranked as top 10 staking providers by the independent https://fifty.one/blockchain/staking despite having fewer followers than some providers ranked below us, because the “quality” of our followers is high. In fact, we were outside of the top 10 only a few weeks ago.

We are investing time into building our community and producing quality and engagement-worthy content on our Medium, Twitter, Telegram and Discord. We are definitely considering investing money to further increase social media engagement (promoted posts) to increase our reach, but we have currently postponed this strategy until the website redesign, which is expected to launch in June.

@leopoldjoy is finalising our response to your other questions and will post it soon.

@All Only 4.5 hours left to ask questions, please keep them coming, this has been fun! :D

Last edited:
A very quick question. I looked for your testnet node @ https://fct.tools but can't seem to find it.

Can you confirm that you are currently operating one or multiple testnet nodes? Are they in the authority set? If not, why?

Hi @Tor Paulsen , thanks a lot for your question. Yes, our node is currently in the authority set, as you can see on fct.tools.

As I mentioned in my earlier comment (May 3), we typically route inbound traffic through a load balancer and then route outbound traffic through a NAT Gateway (with a different public IP). With distributed systems like Tendermint this can easily be configured with the “external_addr” config setting (which tells peers to send requests back to a specific IP address), however with the Factom daemon this was not a preset configuration. As mentioned in my earlier post, upon our discussion in the #technical-chat discord, @Who agreed to add this feature to his mid-term roadmap.

In the meantime, since this feature is not currently supported at the application layer, we first considered rewriting the source IP of outbound factomd packets (to set the load balancer’s public IP address as the source IP). However, the preconfigured NAT Gateway from our cloud provider automatically overwrites the source IP of all packets passing through to be that of the NAT Gateway itself. Of course, our load balancer also does not allow backend-generated outbound traffic to pass through either. Thus, we’ve embarked on implementing a combined forward and reverse proxy solution, whereby we can continue using our existing load balancer.

This research meant that our node wasn’t online all the time as we worked on it (hence why we wouldn't have been continually in the active set over the past week or two). However it has enabled us to become very comfortable with the factomd workflow and the process of maintaining infrastructure for Factom.

Last edited:
I've decided to ask all prospective ANOs the following:
  • What experiences do you have running dockerized applications?
  • What are some things you learned while running your testnet servers?
  • How have your ideas about mainnet infrastructure changed as you have become more familiar with running factomd?
Apologies if you have already answered one or more of these somewhere else.
Hi @Jay Cheroske, thanks a lot for your questions! Please see our responses below:

“What experiences do you have running dockerized applications?”

Our team has extensive past experience working with Docker, including our CEO, Julien Bouteloup, who led a team of 15 contracted to build and deploy a full-stack web application for Yoox - Net-a-Porter (an e-commerce company that serves more than 180 countries worldwide with €2.1 billion revenue in 2018) using docker containers on the backend.

“What are some things you learned while running your testnet servers?”

Referring to my previous reply to Tor, a big takeaway for us was the networking adjustments necessary to run our standard infrasturcture configuration for Factom. Specifically, this was the challenge of ensuring that the public source IP on outbound factomd packets matches the public IP that is setup to receive inbound packets.

“How have your idea about mainnet infrastructure changed as you have become more familiar with running factomd?”

Again, our experience with the factomd networking configuration resulted in our aforementioned research and work on a combined forward and reverse proxy solution. By filtering all inbound traffic, we will ensure availability of our mainnet infrastructure.